I'm not a big watcher of television. I don't like most of the vapid nonsense and 'reality' television shows that are on for the most part. I cancelled my cable subscription years ago and don't miss it at all. If there is a TV show that I want to watch, I'll buy the DVDs when they come out. I can wait for shows that are worthwhile and the bonus is I don't have to wade through commercials and wait for the storyline to continue every week. Cliffhangers can still be annoying if they occur at the end of a season, but I'll get over it.
On the other hand, I'm a junkie for anime and some hilarious live action shows from Japan. I regularly watch fansubs of these shows and buy them when and if they come over to the states. For those who don't know what fansubs are, they are basically translations for the shows that are put together by fans for other fans. There is no profit to be made off these shows and the people that do the translations are doing it only to share their love of a particular show or anime. Most of the time, at least with the anime, the groups have them translated, encoded, timed and uploaded within a few days of the show airing in it's native country.
I used to watch Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I was not a child when this show aired either. There's something completely compelling about grown men and women running around in costumes, fighting other people in rubber suits that just equals complete win. Yeah, I may be immature for this stuff, but I honestly don't care. I got addicted to a new series, which has the same, guys in costumes wire fighting other guys in costumes and rubber suits complete with sparks and highly dubious special effects. I sat and watched an entire series in about two days. All 31 episodes. Thankfully, I was off work those days, otherwise my boss might have killed me.
What the hell kind of show is that? Kamen Rider. I'm a junkie now. I think my spouse thought I was crazy when he came home and saw me in front of my computer monitor, entranced by the over acting by becostumed individuals and the crazy rubber suited fight scenes. If you've seen Ultra Man, you know what I'm talking about. Some of the monsters are on par with old Godzilla movies. The good ones before people tried to screw them all up by not using guys in rubber suits to actually play Godzilla. I'm talking about you any US company that ruins the series. Animated or film. These types of shows are called Tokusatsu, and are typically sci-fi, horror or fantasy. Kamen Riders are basically masked (kamen) riders and, regardless if they use the damn thing a lot or not, they typically have some pimped out motorcycle. I did it kind of backwards however. I started watching Kamen Rider with Kamen Rider Decade, which pretty much spoils all the other Kamen Rider series and can cause some confusion about what the hell is actually going on in the damn show. Didn't throw me off too much, it just made me go and get some more series.
What made me want to check out this show, other than the references in some of the manga that I read? Partially it was one of the image boards I hang out on. They talk about the different series in general quite a bit and are pretty friendly about giving advice on which one to watch. I didn't ask however, I just jumped right in. I don't regret possibly spoiling other shows in the series. Most of the time, you can't really spoil things for me. It won't ruin my day to know what happens at the end of the book I'm reading. It won't ruin a movie if I know how it ends. It's all right, it's the journey that gets you to that end that counts, right? The other reason I picked this particular one to start with, I saw a PV for a song. I didn't know it was the opening song for Decade when I watched it, but the little bit of wire fighting and rubber suit action that I saw sold me. Plus, I like the song, so it's all right. What song? This one.
I'm curious as to how the series is going to finally end, and how many movies it's going to take to actually resolve the storyline. Yes, the series ended with a cliff hanger. There are two movies as of now, and I haven't gotten to see them yet. The title of the post refers to the main character, Decade. Everything is his fault. That's a recurring theme as he travels through different dimensions to try and find out where he is from and trying to keep worlds from being destroyed. It's complicated and at the same time it's not. I'm just waiting to see the end of it. I'm betting with old H man on this one though.
This is a parody, don't take it personally! If you can't take a joke, then I don't know what to tell you!
I'll just end this with a little more music and Kamen Rider.
'Curb Your Enthusiasm' Does Wordle
-
I play Wordle everyday as a mental exercise and I mostly lose my streaks by
either traveling or forgetting to do the word of the day, but I have been
foo...
7 hours ago

No comments:
Post a Comment