05 November 2010

Wow. It's a bonfire of stupid so intense it could be a crematorium.

It's incredible what happens when a slow news day blows something up into a bonfire of stupid so large it threatens to consume many leaving nothing but ashes in it's wake. Yesterday was one of those days. The flow of stupid seems to have slowed today, but that doesn't mean that I'm not going to keep checking on it. It's a pretty good source of comedy. 

To begin, it must have been a slow news day because one of the local news stations put this up on their Facebook wall with a question in hopes of getting a response from the general public. Oh, they did.


It isn't an accurate representation of the bus ads that are going to be on the buses in the area, but a mock up of a similar campaign that took place in Indiana.This is not the ad that will be on the buses. If you're curious to see the ad, look here: Illini Secular Student Alliance. The ads that are going up are different and probably wouldn't have been noticed that frequently had this not been put out there. I say good though because the students are drawing attention to this now. Probably in a bigger way than expected.

The comments start off pretty moderate and easy going and quickly descend into rabid madness. I've only cut out people's names.


In this town, several churches have ads inside the buses. It's common and you've never heard any complaints about it. They pay their money for the ads just like these students did. The amount of bigotry that shows up almost immediately surprises me. Unfortunately, at the same time, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest.



Fundamental history fails right off the bat. I love the spelling and grammar fails as well that permeate this entire venture. It made me angry at first, but then I realize how much stupid there can be so close to a university and laugh. Laugh long and hard that people can be so ignorant about so many things.


Nice to see a few moderate Christians speaking up instead of the tirades of just the christards. And no, I won't be nice. They piss me off by their willful ignorance. Opening up an actual book about this history of this country would help, but I fear the only thing most of these people would read would be the Left Behind books or the Purpose Driven dreck. And no, I don't think they would actually crack open that book they use as an idol.


"I AM DEEPLY OFFENDED". Yeah, you don't have a right to not be offended. Fuck off. Your bullshit offends me and you don't see me baaaaawing for a ride on the whaaaaambulance. I'd rather just let others see your bullshit.


Nice to know that once the ads go up, there will be a decreased usage of the city buses by ignorant bigots. We should all rejoice. The people that I see riding the buses aren't too worried about signs on them. Myself included. Signs are harmless. They hurt no one. You are not being forced to read anything on a sign. If the sign is hateful and attacking another with lies however, don't think that you're going to get a free pass and not get called on that bullshit.



 Uh, no. Atheists don't have churches. That kind of defeats the point of being an atheist. Atheism is a lack of belief in the supernatural. ALL supernatural beings, not just christian ones. It was nice to see the members of the ISSA defending the ads though.


There's some confusion with this one here. That's all I'm going to say about his random, rambling missive that seems to miss the point of agnosticism too. Oh well, perhaps he can learn a little more from the information others in the comments of this have added. Then again, he can get his daily dose of hatred too.


Yes, put up some more billboards around this town with more inaccurate information and lies. There are some. And people in town were absolutely disgusted by the billboard and the incredulous information on the website that the church put up about these "incredible stories of Jesus healing" true believers. Sickening.


A break from some more of the stupid. It's refreshing to see that not everyone is a rabid moron. I'm joking. Most of those who are baaaawing the most probably don't even live around here or use the MTD. Most of the people that throw a fit about MTD don't live in the districts for MTD or just think that MTD shouldn't expect any payment for their services. Sadly. Probably people who also believe that cutting taxes solves everything.


Yes, equate a paid ad on the side of a bus with throwing up displays of the 10 commandments of ignorant bullshit up in state capitols that are paid for by everyone, not just fundietards. And oh yes. Prayer in schools. Didn't that already play out here once? Yeah, it did. I knew that lady that took the case to the Supreme Court and she personally gave me a copy of the book she wrote about the experience and the hatred and vilification she and her family went through during that time. I didn't get her to sign it though while she was still living. I'm referring to Vashti McCollum and McCollum v. the Board of Education.



Here's that billboard that I have to pass daily on the way to work that is linked to a site filled with most vile kind of lies. Faith healing and lying for Jesus about curing major illnesses such as cancer. Unfortunately, most of the stories are distorted and the people that are claiming these miracles actually had medical attention. Especially the couple in the picture. Obviously that abstinence only education only taught him to put it in the pooper. Apparently, he thought that alone would get her pregnant. Wait... abstinence only education... explains a lot really.

No comments:

Post a Comment