21 May 2010

More updates


It seems that when things start to look up, they go to shit again. Chemo started yesterday. The oncologist came in and said he would be able to come home on Friday. Sounded good to us even though I just had bought him snacks to eat if he got hungry. When he was finishing the last of the medication, he began shivering uncontrollably. He was running a fever and when we finally got a nurse in (they seem to have ignored the fact that the call button had been going off for quite some time while the machine he was hooked up to was giving off a very loud alarm) I had him already in his bed and covered up. He was ready to rest. I left with our friend who had taken me around town to run some errands. I finally ate a meal. When I got home I called him. He was sweating uncontrollably. The fever had broken but he just continued to sweat. I told him that I didn't think he should try and drive and I would get someone to come and drive him home and we could get the car home. My brother was going to come up and a friend was going to drive us to the hospital and P was going to drive us home in our car. It was all set when I finally went to bed around 3 this morning.

The phone rang this morning. I can't tell what time of day it is due to the fucking stadium floodlights around the fucking neighborhood. It looks like fucking high noon at 3 in the morning. Drives me fucking crazy. He was up most of the night. He still hadn't stopped sweating all night. They couldn't get a temperature on him. He was getting two more units of blood and not going anywhere today. I don't see him getting out on a Saturday or a Sunday either. I see him staying there all weekend and going directly from Oncology to the Cancer Center for his appointment on Monday. In a way I'm relieved. They're going to go into his hip and get a sample of bone marrow to see if it's still functioning properly. This will help determine how often he has to have chemo. So it's the waiting game still, but not nearly as nerve wracking. He's got the medicine in him that will control this and hopefully beat it into remission. That's what we hope. It's not a ridiculous hope either. Hodgkin's lymphoma has a very good survival rate. We're all optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment