19 May 2010

Results


We got the results of the biopsy today. RelUnrelated has stage 3 Hodgkin's lymphoma. This is not the news we wanted to hear, but at the same time I do not think it is as bad as it could be. It really isn't. Hodgkin's lymphoma appears to be one of the more treatable forms of cancer. The survival rate is at least 90% even in the later stages. Out of the 12 signs and symptoms that Wikipedia has listed in the article, he had 7 of these. Several of the signs were pointed out to the doctor and the doctor brushed it aside, saying it had nothing to do with his persistant illness. It must be awfully damned hard to be a doctor with people looking up information about their symptoms and giving the doctor suggestions about what it could be. I'm still very irate about the whole situation. I'm not with the care he's getting now. He's getting very good care. Every single one of the nurses and aides that have come in to take his vitals, fix his IVs and pumps have been great. They have treated him with the empathy that I HAVEN'T seen from many in the medical field in a very long time. The oncologist was very nice and pleasant the short time I met her and the social worker that came in to see if there was anything she could help us with was great. I do appreciate all the help that we WEREN'T getting months ago. Suddenly, everyone has empathy. It's really sad when things have to get to the point where they are now for it to happen. I also think it telling that the secular hospital he is in has given more care to him and consideration than the religious hospital that was running the tests. And the secular hospital has a very good cancer center. I think we chose wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment